Saturday, October 16, 2010

mercy

In the midst of all the stress and all the crazies that has been going on, I took a little bit of "me-time" today to finish off Mercy, the book by Jodi Picoult that I have been reading for ages. Definitely record-breaking, the amount of time I spent trying to finish the book -.-"'

The reason behind it is because of the fact that the book is sad. Very, very sad..

The tagline of the book is "The love of you life asks for your help to die. What would you do?"

Don't even bother asking me why I decided to buy the book and read it. But I seem to have this thing for emo, sad, heart-breaking, soul-shaking, self-questioning books ala Picoult's writing style.

It just really got me thinking y'know. Because one of the driving points in the book was that hate clouds your decision and makes you act irrationally. But what about love? Wouldn't it have the same powers too?
I don't know what I'd have done in the position of Jamie whose wife asked him to kill her or in the shoes of Allie whose husband cheated on her, despite her thinking he is the center of the universe.
Would I really act in the name of love, and in the process just hurt myself?

It is a bit of a crazy thing to think, one may even go as far as to say that this is just fictitous, nothing of this sort happens in real life.
True.

But it doesn't mean something similar doesn't happen everyday on a less dramatic, less blown up scale.

For some reason, I have always thought of myself to be a hopeless romantic. But as time goes by, as I seem to "grow-up" I seem to be losing it. I find myself being more of a realist and in some ways, more of a pessimist. I don't know what it is about this thing called love. Maybe I am too young, maybe I have not seen enough of the world. But what brings a little fear in me is that if by growing up, I become jaded, untrusting and no longer the romantic I have always thought myself to be, maybe I don't want to be grown up.

That book really got me thinking. What truly are, the powers of love?
Will one ever find out, or will one live to a hundred and never know the true meaning of it?

No comments: